As a restaurant owner, you know that there are a million things to think about on a daily basis. From food quality and cost to employee morale and customer satisfaction – the list goes on and on. So it’s understandable if equipment maintenance falls by the wayside from time to time.
What you may not realize is that routine maintenance can save you money in the long run. Not to mention, it will keep your employees and customers safe and help to avoid costly repairs down the road.
Here are 8 cost-saving benefits of preventative maintenance for your restaurant:
- Helps to avoid unplanned downtime: Restaurant equipment is crucial for the smooth operation of your business. When something breaks down, it can lead to costly downtime and disruptions in your workflow. In some cases, it can even be a safety hazard for your employees and customers. That’s why planned maintenance is so important.
By regularly servicing your equipment and addressing small issues before they become big problems, you can help to avoid unplanned downtime and keep your restaurant running smoothly. Of course, planned maintenance can’t completely prevent all equipment failures. But by being proactive, you can help to minimize the risk of disruptions and keep your restaurant running like a well-oiled machine.
- Saves money on repairs: As we said above, regular maintenance can help to avoid costly repairs down the road. By catching problems early and fixing them before they have a chance to worsen, you can save yourself a lot of money (and headaches) in the long run.
Commercial refrigeration units are a significant investment for any business, so it’s essential to keep them in good working order. Most companies offer planned maintenance programs that include discounts on repairs and priority scheduling for service calls. This is especially important for restaurants, where even a short outage can result in lost revenue and spoiled food. It is also reported that the number one cause of compressor failure it due to negligence of implying proper maintenance
- Increases equipment lifespan: We all know that nothing lasts forever – but with proper maintenance, you can extend the life of your restaurant’s equipment. This will save you money in the long run as you won’t have to replace equipment as often.
The key to effective maintenance is planned maintenance. This is a scheduled, systematic approach to keeping equipment in good working order. Planned maintenance includes but is not limited to the following:
• Regular inspections of electrical components
• Cleaning Condenser and evaporator coils
• Lubrication of motor and compressors
• Flushing drain lines
• Treating condensation lines
• Replacing filters
• Testing gas pressures
• Ensuring that the units have an adequate amount of refrigerant
• Replacement of belts
• Testing compressors
• Sealing ducts
• Measure airflow through the evaporator
• Wipe down gaskets
• Checking ventilation in hoods
It also involves addressing any issues that are found before they cause significant problems.
- Reduces energy costs: As a restaurant owner, you are always looking for ways to reduce your operating costs and improve your bottom line. One often overlooked area is your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. Maintaining your HVAC system and ensuring it is running efficiently can help to reduce your energy costs. This means more money in your pocket each month!
A well-maintained HVAC system will run more efficiently and use less energy. Planned maintenance, such as cleanings and tune-ups, can help to keep your system running at peak performance. Over time, air filters and refrigerant coils can collect dirt and other suspended solids. This buildup causes the unit to work harder and consume more energy. Keeping your HVAC equipment well-maintained can save you 5 to 15 percent on your energy bill, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Helps to improve indoor air quality: In addition to reducing energy costs, regular HVAC maintenance will also help improve your restaurant’s indoor air quality – which is excellent for your employees and customers. As any restaurant owner knows, the quality of the indoor air can have a significant impact on both employee morale and customer satisfaction. Poor air quality can lead to various health problems, including headaches, nausea, and respiratory infections. In addition, it can make your restaurant feel stuffy and uninviting.
- Prevents health code violations: One of the last things you want is for your restaurant to be cited for health code violations. But if your equipment isn’t properly maintained, your HVAC equipment will have difficulty staying within the health department’s parameters, so failing an inspection could be a reality. Routine maintenance will help to ensure that your restaurant is always up to code – keeping your employees and customers safe in the process.
- Reduces the need for replacement parts: When equipment isn’t properly maintained, it tends to wear out more quickly – which means that you’ll need replacement parts more often than you would if you were maintaining it properly. This isn’t good for your bottom line!
Keeps employees safe: Last but not least, one of the essential benefits of routine maintenance is that it helps to keep your employees safe while they are working in your restaurant. No one wants their employee injured on the job – so it’s important that you do everything you can to prevent this from happening by maintaining your equipment regularly.
As you can see, there are many cost-saving benefits of preventative maintenance for restaurant owners like yourself! So next time you’re considering skipping out on routine maintenance, think about all of the ways it could save you money (and headache) in the long run.. Thanks for reading!
Although most HVAC companies offer some form of planned maintenance, the quality of service can vary depending on the company. In Georgia, all HVAC services must be performed by licensed and insured mechanical contractors.
At HVAC Allies, we pride ourselves on providing high-quality planned maintenance services. We work with our clients to create custom plans that fit their needs and budget. We also offer a wide range of other HVAC services, so you can rest assured that we will be there for any of your needs. Contact us today to learn more about what we can do for you.